Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ithaca Brass Band gets their time in the Spotlight

I remember what it felt like the first time I met one of my musical heroes. It happened for me when the PBBB opened for Big Bad Voodoo Daddy at Party in the Park in 2008. I grew up listening to BBVD. I remember how cool it was to see them on the silver screen in Swingers with their zoot suits swinging it out. I never would've thought I would have the opportunity to not only meet them, but share the same stage with them. It's a gig I'll never forget. And their support and friendship ever since has been a guiding light for the PBBB and our career as a band.

Turns out there's a band in Ithaca that's fixing to do the same thing this Saturday. They're young, hungry, and out there hustling. And this Saturday they're opening for a band that they look up to and admire. They're about to meet some of their heroes.

Willie Nelson? Bob Dylan? Nope.

Their name is the Fall Creek Brass Band, and they're playing with the Po'Boys Brass Band.

Wow...you can imagine what it felt like to check these guys out and read their biography on their website and find out that they consider us one of their main influences. Here I am doing the same thing they're doing...young, hustling, and anyone who knows me knows I'm always hungry.

When did the Po'Boys Brass Band go from weekend novelty act to 'major influence'?? I can't tell you how honored it makes us to know that people out there are actually touched by what we do. I guess at the end of the day that's the best thing you could ever ask for.

So thank you, Fall Creek Brass Band. Now let's rock it out on Saturday.
-ej